Authentication of papers: 1. Before you begin. Coronavirus condition (COVID-19)
In-person verification solutions are unavailable until further notice as a result of situation regarding COVID-19. Our mail-in service continues.
For up-to-date info on processing time, see Processing times.
About this web web page
- Always check whether your write-ups must be authenticated
- Ensure you get your document translated
- Reasons we can not authenticate your document
- Likely to make use of your document in Canada?
- Processing times
- Provincial and territorial verification solutions
Authentication is frequently needed before you decide to may use a public that is canadian abroad. To be authenticated, your document must certanly be a initial document bearing an accepted signature (and seal, if relevant). Authentication shows that the signature as well as the seal from the document are genuine.
Far away, verification can also be called legalization or apostille.
Always check whether your articles must be authenticated
Verify requirements by contacting the embassy, high payment, or consulate of this nation where your document may be utilized:
Get the document translated
Is perhaps all or section of your document printed in a language except that English or French? In that case, you need to deliver a professional, notarized interpretation along with it.
What exactly is a certified interpretation? It really is an interpretation that is certified by way of a known person in:
- the translators that are canadian Terminologists and Interpreters Council, or
- an accepted provincial translation relationship
Some nations may need a translatorвЂ™s affidavit. An affidavit must certanly be finalized and sealed by way of A canadian notary.
Exception: We do not require translations for Canadian university diplomas released in Greek or Latin.
Reasons we can not authenticate your document
In writing if we cannot authenticate your document, we will inform you.
We can not authenticate papers for the reasons that are following
- papers lacking any initial signature or seal (as an example, ordinary photocopies)
- papers with unknown seals or with signatures we can not confirm
- religious papers (as an example, baptismal certificates, spiritual wedding certificates, or other papers granted with a spiritual organizations)
- papers released by unrecognized institutions that are educational
- glued papers
- laminated papers
- papers covered with any substance that will ensure it is tough to spot a stamp in it
We are able to decrease verification if:
- the information of one’s document is misleading
- the document or the verification procedure can be used for fraudulent, unlawful or deceptive purposes (we possibly may refer suspected instances of fraudulence are introduced to your law that is appropriate authorities for research)
About to make use of your document in Canada?
For usage in Canada, many papers do not require verification. We only authenticate foreign general general public papers that have now been finalized and sealed by way of a international embassy, high commission or consulate in Canada.
Verify your document’s needs. Talk to the Canadian institution (e.g. college or agency) asking for your document.
We usually do not charge a charge to authenticate papers.
The processing that is current is:
20 company times
through the time the demand is brought to our workplace. You have christian connection to soon add up to 5 company times for mailing time.
We try not to provide expedited services so be sure to prepare your demand appropriately.
Processing can simply take much longer if:
- we have to contact you with questions regarding your demand
- we do not have a specimen (this is certainly, a good example) associated with the signature on file (for instance, due to the fact document is old)
We shall notify you written down whenever we can not authenticate upon coming back your document.
Provincial and territorial verification solutions
Some provinces and territories provide verification solutions with regards to general public papers released inside their jurisdictions. These types of services run individually of this federal government of Canada.
Find extra information concerning the after provincial and territorial verification solutions:
Associated solutions and information
- Engaged and getting married outside Canada
- Statement instead of certification of non-impediment to wedding abroad
- Look at the status of one’s demand
- Reasons we can’t authenticate your document
- If you should be outside Canada
E mail us
Global Affairs Canada Authentication Services Part (JLAC)125 Sussex Drive Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2Canada